Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Make Preppy Storage Boxes for the Mud Room

I needed boxes to put in the storage cubby unit that is in my mudroom. I looked at the typical cloth bins that are normally used. While they were okay, but  I wanted to keep the costs as low as possible. Plus I needed to add a little more style that the plain colored bins just weren't giving me.

canvas bins from landofnod Containers That Conquer Clutter
 I just could not find what I was looking for, so I decided to make them instead.
First, I got some boxes from my work that were going to be thrown away.
Next, up was gathering my supplies: Wrapping paper, Duct tape, and scissors.  What more do you need?

I covered each box with the wrapping paper and then I eyeballed the placement of  the Duct tape.
To make them all look similar, I did the totally unscientific method of putting a completed box beside the one I was working on, and lining up the tape.

 A couple hours, and 9 boxes later, I ended up with this.


Just the kind of preppy look I was going for. Plus there was now the addition of a lot of needed storage. Overall, it was a great improvement to the space.

Check out other high end inspiration recreated on a budget over at I Heart Organized High Low Monthly Organizing Challenge

And stop back next Thursday when I reveal the finished mudroom for the One Room Challenge.
Linking Up:
Remodelaholic


1 comment:

  1. Wow! You did an amazing job with those storage boxes. They kind of remind me of the Swedish flag, but they're definitely more stylish. The storage just became tons more efficient with the cue boxes. That is pretty easy to make and relatively cheaper, too! Awesome post and more power to you!

    Allan Sutherland @ General Store All

    ReplyDelete