Thursday, January 16, 2014

Read a Good Book: January Twitterature Link Up




twitterature monthly reading linkup short reviews
 
 
It's Twitterature time with Anne at Modern Mrs. Darcy.
 
 
I feel like I was in a slump for a while. I just didn't love any books I was reading. Some were okay, some were even good, but there wasn't any of that can't-put-it-down feeling going on. But I think I my have turned a corner, because the last couple books I read were great.
 
 
Wonder by R. J. Palacio
 
Wonder
 

My elementary age son picked out this book just because he found the cover interesting. After he read it, he handed to me and said I should read it. He had never done that before, so of course I did as he suggested. It was a very uplifting and sweet story, and I thought very appropriate for my son to have read. It lead to some good discussions between us about how people can treat one another.
 
 
 
Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer
 
 
This book is all about acceptance. It was a nice reminder for me that it is okay to be a little different in life and follow your own path. There will be people around who will take the journey with you.
 
 
 
The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley
 
 
I have read all of the books in this series about an eleven year old girl who is part chemist and part detective. The last few were losing their luster, and were no where near as good as the first book. This installment luckily gets back to the excellent story lines and character development that I enjoyed at the beginning of the series.
 
 Have you read any good books lately?
 


1 comment:

  1. I know that Wonder and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie are waiting for me at the library right now! Really looking forward to both ... although I'm sorry to hear that Bradley's series doesn't continue as strong as it starts.

    Thanks for sharing your reading with us!

    ReplyDelete