Friday, November 15, 2013

Read a Good Book: November Twitterature Link Up

 
Today I am participating in a link up the blog Modern Mrs. Darcy. In this link up, called Twitterature, bloggers are asked to create short, Twitter-style reviews of their recent reads.
 
Here are books I read over the past few weeks...
 
A Good American by Alex George
 

 

 
 
A multi-generational book about an immigrant family. I did get a little tired of the fact that most of the people in this book died...and most went in pretty bad ways.  But overall I liked this book, and it had a good theme.
 
 
 
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
 
 

 
I so didn't get this book. Who were the people at the end of the lane? Were they a metaphor for a god like person, possibly witches or maybe aliens? Then someone explained to me that it was about how your memories are not always correct, and when you look back on childhood events it can sometimes be clouded by childhood fantasies. Oh...now I get it! I took it all way too literally. I think I need to try this book again...if I have the time.
 
 
I have taken up running in the past several months, and always listen as I exercise to Play-Aways (the portable version of a book-on-tape) that I get from our library. I like to pick the most cheesy chic-lit to listen to as I run. Listening to something fun and light hearted keeps me moving. These recently fit the bill...
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love those little Playaways from the library! Running sounds like a great time for guilty pleasure listening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for The Ocean At The End of The Lane for ages...can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete