Thursday, August 15, 2013

Read a Good Book: Twitterature Link Up



 
 
Today I am participating in a link up with the blog Modern Mrs. Darcy. In this link up, called Twitterature, bloggers are asked to create short, Twitter-style reviews of their recent reads.
 
There are times when something I read in a book...from the way a character handled a situation to a line that really spoke to me...that did have an effect on the way I responded to or thought about an event in my life. That is why I am such a sucker for these books I recently read. In all of them a book has a big effect on the main character, changing the course of the character's life.
 
 
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
 

I was at my bookclub when this book was mentioned, and five of the women there swooned over how good it was. Of course I had to read it. It is about a boy who is taken to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books and allowed to choose one book. The story continues, as the child grows into adulthood, as he searches for the author of the book and finds mystery, romance, and many haunting elements along the way.
 
 
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
 
 
This book is about a Germany girl during WWII. She can't resist stealing books. The story is interestingly narrated by death, and it contains a few books with in the book. It was a memorable story leaving me teary eyed at the end.
 
 
 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
 
 
 
The main character's journey begins when she gets a letter from a man who got her name out of a book. This starts a letter exchange between her and a small group of people who live on an island. I listened to this as an audiobook and loved all the different characters.
 
 
 
 
 


8 comments:

  1. Oh, The Shadow of the Wind sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Guernsey Literary and PPP Society. I bet it would be great as an audiobook, to hear the different voices of the letter-writers. Shadow of the Wind sounds excellent as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Guernsey Literary and PPP Society. I just read a blurb about the Book Thief in Entertainment Weekly--it's being made into a movie. I'll have to check out the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Jeannie - I bet The Guernsey L&PPP Society would be a great audio book.

    Liked it, LOVED The Book Thief. Although it made me cry buckets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What did you think of Shadow of the Wind? I've read the other 2 books you mentioned and I really enjoyed both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very enjoyable read. I would recommend it.

      Delete
  6. Just added The Shadow of the Wind to my to-read list. I have heard mixed reviews on The Book Thief but haven't read it. And I have checked out Guernsey from the library THREE times and keep returning it unread! I need to get it a fourth time because I think I'd really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading Shadow of the Wind too! And hoping to read The Book Thief soon!

    ReplyDelete