Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Revel the After Photos: Bookshelves

In yesterday's post, I talked about the large amount of books I had and my need for organized bookshelves.

I do not have a before picture to show you, but let's just say it looked something like this...
 
 

And here is the after...


These bookshelves have been around through four moves and three paint jobs. I couple of the shelves have footprints in the paint from where my then toddler son ran across them while they were drying on the floor during one of the repaints. Needless to say these bookshelves and I have been through a lot together, and I love that now the shelves are cleared and organized. It really shows my books off to their best advantages. I also now have the room to add a few extra decorative items to the shelves.

First thing I did was pare down the books to only the ones I truly could not part with. This was so hard to do! It was a bit like having to say good bye to old, dear friends. I kept stopping to read them.

I looked something like this....

The Bookworm by Carl Spitzweg
 
Finally, I had two boxes full of books, and I carted them off to donate to the local Friends of the Library Book Sale.
 
I decided to organize the books roughly by subject. This has really helped me be able to quickly find what I am looking for.
 
 
 
I placed some of the books at different angles to add interest to the shelves.
 
 
My mother gave me this pillow, and it is one of my favorite things.  The glass vase was hand blown at a glass factory near my hometown.
 
 
The organized bookshelves were such an improvement to my living room, that I went to work on the bookshelf in my children's room. 
 
 
 
We mainly group the books here by subject, author or reading level.
 
 
 
Now that our bookshelves look so great, I declared a ban in our house...no more buying books. We almost exclusively get all of our books from the public library now. I would love to see the data of which family checks out the most books at our library. I think we would win.
One Project at a Time Link party - ABFOL

7 comments:

  1. This looks so organized and easy to find. Can you kids keep them organized, mine can't :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. We often have to do a quick tidying up to keep everything straight. If we keep at it though, they will eventually do it on their own, right?...a mom can dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to organize my shelving too you did a great job!
    Best,
    Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job! Your books deserve a space like this.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. It does make it much easier to find the book I want now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shelves look wonderful now!
    (I especially like the little pillow with the Jefferson quote on it.)

    ReplyDelete