Sunday, August 11, 2013

Make More Storage in my Bedroom: Dressers as Nightstands

I finally finished a project that I worked on for a couple months now. Actually, I worked on it for a weekend two months ago, then life happened, it sat in my garage for awhile gathering cobwebs, and then I dedicated to dedicate all of this Saturday to getting it done. I am so glad that I carved out the time, because I think it looks great!

This was my inspiration photo. It was in Lonny magazine several months ago. As soon as I saw this picture, I knew it was just the pop of color I needed for my bedroom.


At first I thought I would paint the dresser we already had, but that furniture wasn't really working for us in our bedroom anyway. Our master bedroom is on the small side, and a bit of an odd shape...more long and narrow.  When we moved into our house, we weren't able to fit our second large dresser. As a result, most of our clothes were in a small chest of dresser. I felt like I was constantly shoving things back in just to get the drawers to close. I needed more storage.

Then I saw this picture on another blog, Little Green Notebook, and got an idea. We had a small nightstand beside our bed. I realized if we upsized it to an actual dresser it would be a much better use of the space, provide needed storage, and I would still have a place beside my bed to put my book at night.

 
 
Here are a few more inspiration pictures, from other sources, of dressers used as nightstands: 
 
 
 
 

I did a lot of measuring and a lot of looking. Most of the dressers I found and liked were too big for the small space I was working with. Finally, the Tarva dresser from Ikea was the perfect fit.

I painted it Par Three from Ace Hardware.



I found the drawer pulls on Ebay for about a third of the price of what I was looking at elsewhere.  The person I bought them from also has an Etsy store called Lakeway Candles. They were very helpful and responsive to my order.

So here is the finished dresser.




 
 

I moved about half my clothes into the dresser, and it is working out great. There is a matching dresser on the other side of the bed for my husband's things. The extra storage is such an improvement to the bedroom.

I will tell you all more about the lamps in tomorrow's post.....

Also, check out this link up at the blog Serenity Now, Shabby Nest, Tatertots and Jello, and
Not Just a Housewife, and Remodelaholic



4 comments:

  1. I looooove the color! So chic! Especially with the gold pulls. I have a desk I've been contemplating painting in this color and you just convinced me- it's going to happen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were inspired. I would love to see a picture of the desk when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the colour! Very similar to the Kelly Green I painted my foyer table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's great that we picked the same color paint!

      Delete