Monday, February 3, 2014

Collect Blue and White Art

Vincent van Gogh. The Starry Night. Saint Rémy, June 1889



The first art I ever acquired was a poster of Starry Night complete with Von Gogh in big block letters on the bottom. I put it on my college dorm room wall with poster putty. I thought I was being so sophisticated by picking a masterpiece to display in my space.

A few year later, after purchasing our first house, I found my next art piece. It was a reproduction of a vintage poster advertising French wine.  I think I bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond. The color scheme of the piece started my temporary, but deep, obsession with the color scheme green, yellow and red. I happily decorated the bedroom in these colors to complement this art hanging prominently on the wall. (This time it was in a frame, and attached to the wall by hanging on a nail...see, I was moving up in the world.)

While these early pieces of artwork still have a fondness in my heart, as I moved towards my thirties, I decided I needed to have "real" art work. I wanted to purchase art that was created by someone, and not a mass-produced reproduction. It almost felt like this would show I was moving to a new stage in my life...at least a new house decorating stage.

About the time I made this decision, I happened to be volunteering at an art fair. I walked by a booth, and I swear a beam of light shone on one of the pictures, directing me to look at it. (Ok, I am exaggerating, but I was really taken with the piece.) The artist told me how she took a Polaroid picture, and before it completely dried, swirled the image around with a stick pen. I had luckily stuck a twenty dollar bill in my pocket that morning, and that bought me the smallest print she had.





My next big art purchase was from an artist I found on Ebay. (I know still not such an adult that I would actually go into a gallery.) The painting he had listed reminded me of what the forest near my childhood home looks like in that early morning time just before the sun rises. Once again I fell hard. I needed it in a bigger size than what was listed to fit the space in my living room. After an email exchange, the artist agreed to custom make something for a price that was almost the same price as the couch that would be beneath it. As someone who just a few years before, thought that decorating with a poster was high times, the cost was a bit of a struggle for me to come to terms with. But after thinking about it for a while, I finally commissioned the painting. I am so glad I did. The painting still makes me feel calm and happy whenever I look at it, all these years (and a new house) later.



 



Fast forward a few years, and we have now moved a few times since I decided to work on my small art collection. Our new home needed something for the back wall of our dining area. I asked my dad, a professional photographer, if I could have some of his pictures to display.  I waited a few months, after all the paying customers come first, but finally pictures of flowers arrived. I love that my dad autographed them, and they look great in the room. And of course I was glad that blue and while flowers where included.

 


 






I continue to look for art that speaks to me. I wonder when my next find will appear!


Do you have a favorite piece of art in your home? How did you come across it?

Do you notice how I subconsciously gravitate to the color blue? Do you have a certain color that catches your eye?


If you want to see more ways to use that color, be sure to head on over to The Pink Pagoda and the Blue and White Bash. Also, be sure to check out Jennifer's Etsy store. She has beautiful prints that would look great in any room.

And for more blue and white eye candy, see what I collected on my Blue and White Pinterest Board.
 
 
 
Also linking up with the Remodelaholic and Serenity Now


 



8 comments:

  1. Blue and white art is a favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply love the depth of the painting with the trees..the sillouettes are gorgeous!! Beautiful collection!!
    Ozana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have been collecting for quite a while. Love how pretty it looks on your walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when people have "real art" in their homes - things they've collected that mean something. The addition of your dad's work is a great story. And I'm with you - having art makes me feel like I'm decorating like "a big girl"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful collection, Frances! I love the story behind the polaroid, and your Dad is such a talented photographer!

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty pieces, Frances! Thank you for linking up today! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am drawn to blues in art, too. Your art collection reminds me of how my own interest in art has evolved. Cool idea to check eBay for artists! I never thought of that. :)

    ReplyDelete