Wednesday, February 26, 2014

One Room Challenge with Calling it Home: Now

So excited that Linda at Calling it Home decided to do an update to the One Room Challenge.

For those of you who are recent visitors to this blog, One Room Challenge involves putting together a room in 6 weeks. It was so much fun for me to participate in this back in the fall.

Week One was the before. This room so needed help.

 
 
I decided to put together a room inspired by the Greenbrier Resort. I always loved the interior design created by Dorothy Draper, and wanted to bring a little of that pink and green look into my house.
 


 The room re-do started with retiling the floors in Week Two.


For Week Three, I shared how I created my own fabric for the curtains.



The most commented on part of the laundry room was reveled in Week Four when I used green tape to create a wall treatment.





In Week Five I showed off all the items I was going to use to organize the space.




Week Six was the big reveal. I was so excited to be done!

 
 
 
 
 

Now for what the Laundry Room looks like as of yesterday....


Not much has changed. Which I think is actually a great thing. Before it was a bit of a dumping ground. Now that I set up an organized system with the bins, it has been sooooo easy to maintain! No more looking for a cord when I need one. I just go to the bin labeled cords. And when I am done with said cord, it quickly can go back to it's home. No more just tossing it into the room willy nilly. Label it and the organization will come! That has been the big lesson for me in this room.

 
And I love this shelf that stores all the cleaning supplies. It easily rolls out of sight when not in use.
 
 
My favorite thing in the room though has to be the Match Box. We have a real problem with loosing the pair to socks. Does anyone else have this problem?  Before, I would just throw the socks that were missing their other half back into the laundry bin leading to me washing the same mismatched socks over and over again. Now after folding all the laundry, I simply put the left over socks in the Match Box. Miraculously, in about a week or so of laundry cycles, most of the mates appear. After about a month (or when I get around to it), I simply throw out the ones that remain just a single. Easy!



Now that the laundry room is done, I can not wait to participate in the next One Room Challenge Linking Party starting April 3 . I finally decided what room  in my house I am going to re-do, but you will have to check back in April to see. Be sure to subscribe by email (in the sidebar), so I can keep you updated on my progress.  I did set up a Pinterest Board to gather all of my inspiration. Check it out here and see if you can guess what the room will be!

Now be sure to head over to Calling It Home today to check out the other participant's rooms. So much design inspiration!



Linking up with Remodelaholic, Serenity Now, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Driven by Décor, East Coast Creative

7 comments:

  1. Hi Frances, it's so nice to read that you love your space. I am a bit jealous of your organizational skills. My 'one of a kind' socks just live in a pile on top of the dryer. Having a box for them is a great idea! Can't wait to see what you do in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see those wonderful taped wall holding up nicely, that is still my favorite part in your space. I do have the same problem with the socks and I have a box underneath my dryer for that. Can't wait to see what you come up with in April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job. You took it from frumpy to fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such a great job, Frances! I love this laundry room!!

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEP! Still love the green tape walls! And great idea with the match box! I think I'll be staling that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frances, those walls still get me - they're so fun!! Organized spaces always make me happy, and that roll away shelf is great! Thanks for stopping by Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a GREAT job of fixing your laundry room up, Frances!
    Enormous transformation and improvement! It is a very inviting space now:)

    ReplyDelete